Our Services

U.S. Federal Income Tax Preparation

American citizens and Green Card holders are taxed on their worldwide income and must file yearly income tax returns and reports about their financial assets abroad. We specialize in assisting our clients fulfill their U.S. tax obligations and pride ourselves on making the process as simple as possible. We have an in-depth understanding of the Swiss financial and tax context and will help you optimize the overlap between Swiss and U.S. tax treatment. Our primary focus is minimizing your overall tax liability while ensuring accurate and expedient filing.

Assistance For Delinquent Filers

We have a unique specialization helping late or non-filers become tax compliant. We can help you get caught up whether you are a year late or have never filed a tax return. There are IRS programs to help ease the burden of becoming tax compliant and we have assisted many clients through these processes.

Green Card Compliance

Many Green Card holders don’t realize they have the same tax reporting requirements as U.S. citizens. Whether you already have a Green Card or are planning to acquire one, we can explain your filing responsibilities and advise you on long-term planning opportunities and how to avoid potential pitfalls. We also assist clients who have revoked their Green Card or allowed it to expire without completing all necessary IRS filings.

Expatriation Tax Assistance

Many dual-nationals are faced with a difficult decision about whether to renounce their U.S. citizenship and expatriate. We have extensive experience in guiding clients through this difficult choice and can advise you on the tax implications whether you are current with your taxes, have never filed, or have already renounced without first fulfilling your expatriation obligations.

State Income Tax Preparation

Certain individuals may be required to file state income tax returns, even if they are not living in the state or in the U.S. at all. We can help you determine whether you need to file a state tax return and if so, what type of filing is appropriate for you.

Certain Foreign Corporation Returns

U.S. citizens who are shareholders of certain foreign corporations may be required to file a Form 5471 Foreign Corporation Information Return or Form 8865 Partnership Information Return. This filing requirement may also apply to directors or officers whether or not they hold ownership in certain foreign companies. If you are associated with such a foreign entity, we can help you determine your disclosure obligations and possible tax liability from such ownership, and convert and translate financial data according to U.S. tax principles.

Tax Planning and Consulting

In addition to tax preparation, we offer tax planning and consulting services. We take a proactive approach in assisting our clients by creating an individually tailored plan to reduce the current year’s tax burden while also looking to the future.

Owning U.S. Real Estate and Minimizing Withholding Tax

If you are not a resident of the United States, but have invested in U.S. real estate that earns rental income, we can assist you with your U.S. federal and state tax filing obligations for non-resident property owners. If you plan to sell U.S. real property we can help you meet your filing obligations and limit withholding tax under federal (FIRPTA) and state tax law.

Making a Gift

American taxpayers who give a gift of property, such as real estate, securities or cash, above certain minimum amounts, must file a Gift Tax Return, Form 709. This also applies to a gift of a future interest for which the donor retains a right to use the property (a usufruct), commonly seen in Switzerland and several other European countries which impose gift and inheritance taxes. We can assist you to file Form 709 including applying the tax-free lifetime exclusion amount which often eliminates any gift tax liability.

Receiving a Gift from a Non-U.S. Person

U.S. citizens and residents who receive a gift from a foreign person in excess of $100,000 must report such a gift on Form 3520. This includes a gift that may be encumbered with a usufruct or right for another person to use the property. Form 3520 is one of the foreign reporting forms that does not trigger a tax, however the non-filing penalty is potentially high. We can prepare Form 3520 as well as correct any delinquent filing for you with the likely outcome that you avoid penalties.

U.S. Estate Tax upon the Death of an American

Upon the death of a U.S. citizen, we can assist the family or executor of the estate with the compliance requirements of the Estate Tax Return, Form 706, including claiming the tax-free lifetime exclusion amount and applying the benefits of the Estate Tax Treaty between the United States and Switzerland to relieve double taxation.

U.S. Estate Tax when a Non-U.S. Person owns U.S. Property

Under U.S. estate tax law, the estate of a foreign owner of U.S. assets, such as real estate located in the U.S. or securities issued by American corporations, may be subject to estate tax when the owner dies. A foreign executor, surviving spouse or beneficiary must file Form 706-NA and pay any tax owing, after applying the benefits of any Estate Tax Treaty, such as the one in effect between the U.S. and Switzerland. We can prepare Form 706-NA and assist in obtaining an IRS-issued Transfer Certificate Form 5173 which grants clearance to allow the heirs to obtain transfer of title or release of the U.S. assets owned by the deceased.

Forms W-8BEN to minimize U.S. Withholding Tax

U.S. withholding tax, ranging from 0 to 30 percent, may apply to a variety of payments coming from the U.S., including dividends from U.S. corporations and payments from a U.S. payer for services rendered by a foreign person. When you live in a country such as Switzerland which has an international double tax treaty with the U.S., you may benefit from a reduced rate of withholding tax by certifying your residency status on one of several W-8 forms (W-8BEN, W-8BEN-E, etc.). We can assist you to prepare the correct form to obtain relief at source from the highest withholding tax rate, before the payment is made to you.

Reclaiming Overwithheld U.S. Withholding Tax

If you receive a payment from a U.S. payer on which U.S. tax was withheld at source at a rate in excess of the required rate, we can assist you. It is possible to reclaim the overwithheld tax from the IRS by filing Form 1040-NR for individuals or Form 1120F for foreign corporations, depending on the circumstances.

Reclaiming Swiss Withholding Tax

Switzerland also levies a withholding tax at source on gross dividends, investment fund distributions and interest from Swiss payers. Swiss residents can obtain a credit for this tax when they file their Swiss tax return. However a U.S. person investing directly in Swiss securities must file a Reclaim Form to obtain a partial or full refund based on the double tax treaty between the U.S. and Switzerland. We can assist you to claim this  refund from the Swiss tax authorities.


American citizens and Green Card holders are taxed on their worldwide income and must file
yearly income tax returns and reports about their financial assets abroad. 

<<< Information for taxpayers living abroad. Please click here >>> 


Sign up for our Newsletter